Hermana Wood's Missionary Adventures in the "Capital of the Peruvian Amazon"

awood@myldsmail.net

Monday, July 18, 2016

Pucallpa, The Land of My Inheritance

guess what?! after transfers this past week, i'm back in pucallpa - my birthplace [where i began my mission or was "born"], the land of my inheritance. and, i'm serving with hermana garcia!! she was my companion for only two weeks before there was an emergency transfer [to help a sister who became ill in another area]. so, i'm glad to get to finish out a transfer period with her. :)

hello pucallpa

in other news, we had a zone conference with president li. since i'd already met him in iquitos, i was able to see him for a second time. he is awesome - the nicest guy ever and so willing to be a father to all of us. love him already!!

my new pensionista is also very lovable. she's a large woman with a large laugh, and she is SO funny. the only downside is dinner, haha. this week, she served us: (1st night) a quarter of a pineapple; (2nd and 3rd night) a pear and a piece of tres leches cake (repeated); and (4th night) bread. but, we're making it work! :)

making reeses brownies and birthday cake

turned out nice :)

so, pucallpa is DUST AND SUN. during my first hours working in my area, my eye contacts were plastered onto my eyeballs from all the dust. but, i'm slowly getting used to it again. there's a lot of work to do here, as hermana garcia had 0 investigators. not a joke.

i'm ready to work and contact everyone who will listen! i just hope i haven't scared my comp with the insane amount of door knocking we've been doing. gotta find the chosen ones!!

HBD (almost)

it may be hot and dusty, but our house is BIG (and everything is brown, like me), so it's all good. love you all!!

hermana wood

More from this week's message to Hermana Wood's dad:
hey, dad!! i finally had my interview with the president, and we set a date!! i will be boarding a plane to come home on december 20th, which puts me in salt lake city on december 21st. five months to go!!!

i'm really happy to have all the familiarity in pucallpa - my comp (who was my comp previously), my zone leader, elder lopez (who was my district leader in iquitos - see picture with balloons), and yesterday at a stake ward council meeting, i got to see everyone from my old ward in ucayali!!!!! the happiness i felt was insane!!! apparently, they all still talk about me and the news spread so fast (that i was back in pucallpa), haha. i also got to see isabel, who was our pensionista (and basically mother) for the first 5 months of my mission. so happy!!!

More from this week's message to Hermana Wood's mom:
hey, mom!! yes, the rumors are true, i'm in pucallpa!!! i'm in another area called yarina cocha, and it's apparently the strongest ward in the mission. the members here are incredible!! anyway, i've been happily working this week and love being with hermana garcia! she's willling to learn and improve, and we've been able to adjust to each other really well. LOVE YOU.

chau iquitos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch a Brief Video